CheapInsurance 's Review
Blue Cross Blue Shield is one of the largest insurance companies in the world. You may know them as BCBS of whatever state you live in, but they are a major insurance carrier that most providers and individuals know about. With insurance offerings in over 170 countries in the world, it is one you are sure to consider in your search for the right health plan.
Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Plans
Just as with any insurance company, BCBS offers a wide variety of plans. From high-deductible, catastrophic plans to lower deductible, co-pay plans, you can find a plan to fit your particular wants and needs, as well as your budget. They also have different types of coverage options, from a HMO (Health Maintenance Organization) to a PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) to a HSA (Health Savings Account) to a FSA (Flexible Spending Account).
Blue Cross Blue Shield History
The history of Blue Cross Blue Shield began in 1929 when a health insurance company for teachers was founded by Justin Ford Kimball, called Blue Cross. Blue Shield was a plan for mining camp employees in the Pacific Northwest. These two companies merged and in 1982 became what we know as Blue Cross Blue Shield. The headquarters is located in Chicago, Illinois and is the combined effort of 39 companies.
- As one of the largest insurance companies in the world, it is easy to see that there could be reviews on both ends of the spectrum. Some pros of Blue Cross Blue Shield include:
- Rated high in financial strength
- Offers plan options to fit almost anyone’s wants and needs
- The majority of healthcare providers around the world accept BCBS
- Changes can be made online for most policies
- To get information, you will need to contact your local BCBS agent or office
- Some people feel that the largeness of the company affects customer service
Blue Cross Blue Shield is a big company that offers a variety of different health plans for both individuals and families. They are known for offering affordable insurance, especially through employer-sponsored plans. The pros and cons of this company can vary within the different company offshoots under the BCBS umbrella.